Looking for an easy dessert idea for your long weekend? If you love apples and chai then this gorgeous recipe will do the trick! Our Dineamic Food store have taste tested a slice - or two - for you, they this cake is perfect for sharing with loved ones or enjoying by yourself with a cuppa.
- ¼ cup brewed chai
- 125g softened butter
1 1/4 cups self raising flour
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 125ml milk of choice
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and sliced very thinly
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 22cm springform pan and line the base with baking paper (or you can use an ordinary round cake tin).
- Brew 1 tbsp of loose leaf chai (optional: chai powder, chai teabag) in ¼ cup of hot water.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees celsius (fan-forced).
- Beat the butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs and milk and beat until combined, then stir in the brewed chai.
- Sift in the self-raising flour and beat until just combined.
- Pour half of the mixture into the prepared tin. Add a layer of the thinly sliced apples (half of them).
- Repeat with the remaining cake mixture and apple slices.
- Sprinkle over the flaked almonds and the raw sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 50 - 60 minutes or until the cake is cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Leave to cool in the baking pan for 20 minutes before placing onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve on it's own or warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.