Before you spend a ridiculous amount of money on wrapping paper this Christmas (that may work out to be more than the KK gift itself), have a little think and get creative in wrapping your gifts this year! It's estimated that 150,000km of wrapping paper is used in Australia over the festive season, - that's enough to wrap the world in paper four times?! Wrap your head around that! - nuts right?! And it gets worse. Most wrapping paper can’t be recycled due to its shine, gloss or glitter.
So, don't let your wrapping be part of that statistic this year with these tips:
- Use up what you have already!
- Save the wrapping paper or gift bags you're gifted with and reuse them.
- Use paper bags from stores.
- Use newspapers or children's artwork.
- Get inspired by the Japanese tradition “Furoshiki” (wrapping gifts in cloth), by buying a new tea towel and make it part of your gift or find an old sheet in the depths of your cupboard.
- By an eco-friendly tote bag to place your gifts in. - reusable and part of the gift!
- Replaced Sellotape with biodegradable washi tape or cotton string!
- Reuse your Dineamic delivery box!
- If you must, then by brown kraft wrapping paper - this can be recycled.
Need something to wrap first?
We’ve all been there, gift giving can be hard and a bit tedious at times, but don't let this stress of Christmas take away the gift of giving! - it's the thought that counts right! So, any gift with a little thought is better than a gift that was purchased last min. And there's no gift more thoughtful than one that betters the person and the planet! So, get creative, support local and of course find something that fits your person. Here are a few eco-friendly gift ideas that might spark a flame in your gift giving creativity!
- Buying for someone that has EVERYTHING? Easy, buy them something for someone who will actually put your $$ to good use. For example, buy your friend a goat ... for a family in Vanuatu! There are so many amazing charities that have special gifts that can be gifted to those in need. Check out CareGifts , World Vision or FareShare.
- 2021 has highlighted a massive movement of supporting local, continuing this trend by putting money back into your community. Gift a voucher to your favourite local restaurant, winery, gift store or beauty therapist.
- Make something with LOVE, pull out the old family recipe book and make your nans famous plum jam, relishes and hot sauce and pop them in reusable glass jars - better yet your old jars.
- Find something that they use every day! Like eco friendly wooden kitchen utensils, a reusable bag or keep cup, glass containers, metal straws or a wooden toothbrush.
- How about something to take care of? Like an indoor plant, a lemon tree to plant or a kit to start the herb garden they’ve always spoken about.
- Head to your local second hand or antique stores, with your eyes peeled for treasure. You never know what you’ll find but it could be an antique decanter or a pre-loved record.
- Everyone loves Christmas choccy, look for chocolates that are fair trade approved. There are some great Aussie companies like Loving Earth or Pana Chocolate.
- More often than not you can't go wrong with alcohol, and what's great is the movement towards sustainable alcohol too! A few Aussie examples are Ari’s Natural Wine Co and Stone and Wood.
- Last but not least a Dineamic gift voucher so, your loved one's dinner or lunch is taken care of! With healthy meals that are nutritious, delicious and hand made with love by people who also care about the planet.
We wish you a very Merry Eco-friendly Christmas, may the gift giving games begin!